Monday, August 6, 2012

Art: Creative Genius or Misguided Madness?


Having failed to find a suitable piece of art in our local stores to take up a key spot in one of my rooms, I took to the internet. For, what better place is there to find a plethora of art than on the World Wide Web?
My search began, as most searches do, on the Google homepage. Wanting to start with a very general search, I simply typed in “art.” And may I just say, “WOW!”? The images that appeared were so varied and, well to be honest, uninteresting that I skimmed through the pages faster than I’ve ever looked through search results before. It seems that along with the wonderful creation of the internet also came the resulting ability of anyone, and everyone, to define what is art. But what is even more disturbing is what the “experts” claim to be art. My question is, do most people really agree with them, or is everyone just too scared of social censure to speak up. And, no, that’s not a rhetorical question. I’d really like to know.

Now, don’t misunderstand, I’m certainly not saying that I’m any kind of expert on what is aesthetically pleasing, but I know what I like. And what I don’t like.

Deciding to take a stand, like the child in “The Emperor’s New Clothes,” I’m going to go against the art critics and honestly state what I see. Let me know what you think. Do you agree with me, or am I just not getting it? After all, art is subjective.

These two are exhibited in major museums.


A silver jellyfish?


I'm not really sure what that's supposed to be. A spaceship, perhaps?



I’m all for abstract art. I even own a few pieces myself, but this one…



I wouldn’t hang it in my own house, but I will have to admit that this one does get some lol points.

In all of this, we can’t forget the fashion scene. That is also “art,” right?

 A model presents a creation by French designer Julien David as part of his Fall/Winter 2012-2013 women's ready-to-wear fashion show during Paris fashion week February 28, 2012. REUTERS
Really?!? “ready-to-wear”? REALLY!?!

 A model wears a creation for French fashion designer Jean-Charles de Castelbajac's spring-summer 2012 ready-to-wear collection presented Tuesday, Oct.4, 2011 in Paris.
And from the hospital collection, a pearl neck brace


Well, I’m just not sure what to say about these.


And finally, on another Paris runway...


You've just gotta love those hats, not to mention the hairstyles! :)

So, what do you think? Is it true creative genius at work here, or are our artists and fashion designers running out of ideas and desperately grasping at whatever they can find?

No comments:

Post a Comment